Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grace Buried


Jesus never said that being a Christian would be easy.  Phrases like “take up your cross and follow me” (Matt 16:24) does not sound like the road filled with daisies and roses.  Our walk was not meant to be easy.  However the journey will be worth it once we arrive in heaven and see the full glory of Christ  (Math 5:10).  

I have recently had to deal with a very uncomfortable and difficult family issue.  It seems like since I became a believer there has been constant attacks by my family towards me.  I truly believe that the enemy is using them as his vessels.  Over the past few days I have been really leaning on Scripture and a song titled “You loved me anyway” by Sidewalk Prophets.  In the bridge of the song the lyrics say “I turn away with a smile on my face, with this sin in my heart trying to bury Your grace.”  I have been intrigued about what it means to bury Christ’s grace.  As I’ve meditated on these words I have realized that is what Satan and his tools do to Christians.  The hatred and darkens wants to bury and crush what Christ did for us.  The Pharisees killed Christ and Satan and death couldn’t stop Him and ever since the enemy continues to try crush us and bury the grace of Christ. 
 
The difficulties we encounter in life could just be a part of our humans but Satan is also the prince of this world and at times these difficulties could be attacks by him. I heard once from a Beth Moore series that Satan wants to discourage us from succeeding.  Why?  Because each time with get through a difficulty we experience God’s promise fulfilled and Satan doesn’t want us to witness that.  He wants to stop us, discourage us, and mislead us away from the fulfilled promises of God.  I one hundred percent believe that this is true.  With each trial comes a greater strength and more trust/faith in God.  

I believe that perspective as a lot to do with how you live your life as a believer.  And if you can realize what is happening and why it is happening makes getting through those tough times a little easier.  For me, it allows me not to grow angry and bitter at the person who is blind to Christ’s love and grace.  Jesus said they will hate you because they hated me.  Christ died because of this hate and we will suffer for loving and following Him.  We know this is true, yet we tend to forget it or just know it in our head but don’t really feel it in our hearts during the pain.  But the song lyrics really hit home for me.  The sin in their hearts is trying to bury the His grace.  His grace lives in us and through us and even they, will try to bury it and us with it.  

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you (Matt 5:12).  In my experience the closer you draw to Jesus the more the trials and attacks occur.  However painful they may be, it is a good thing……it means you are right in your faith.  

Be strong and press on in the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment